"Life is the dancer and you are the dance."
Eckhart Tolle

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Send the Angels to the Earth we write poems #40-triptych

Heaven i.
Cherub-faced angels blow bugles
sitting on billowy clouds,
trying to trim their sapphire wings.          
Prayers are said for galaxies,
a fanfare for goddesses
that soar for the sun …
looking to sprinkle ashes down below,
hoping to touch us lightly on the shoulders
to make believers out of the cynical masses.
The gods knowing it’s an impossible task
to complete …

Earth ii.
While sycamore trees line a swelled terrain along
rivers, worms crawl in and out of holes,
as watchful sparrows guard them
ready to dine. Fireflies land on new
blossoms in a quiet evening
lighting up mountainsides,
where insects nestle deep within,
burrowing and moving the earth.
New buds form at the beginning
of Spring, as flowers wilt with
Winter’s approach, forever going
in cycle – birth and death.      

Man iii.
Where feelings of love have been
replaced by anger, prejudice
and distrust, like concrete walls covered
with barbwire that pierce our thoughts and minds.
While excavating for innocent souls
to turn them inward and selfish, 
violence is outlined …
We are no longer nurturing toward each other.
What happened to Saturday afternoons
sipping tea on the front porch while
watching children play? Or trying to
respect one another in spite of our
differences.

10 comments:

  1. I think you did just fine with the prompt. Everyone went in their own direction and that is exactly how it should be. I was perplexed as well, but finally took the plunge this morning. Was actually surprised at where I ended up.

    Love the angels trimming their sapphire wings, fireflies lighting up mountains, and barbed wire piercing thoughts and minds. Your poetry always has a certain flow to it.

    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I just love the way you gave life to the heaven, earth, and man prompt. Bravo! I especially like your "fanfare for goddesses", "trees line a swelled terrain", and "concrete walls covered with barbed wire". Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Elizabeth, you are much too kind. It seems everyone did go in their own direction with this prompt. I wrote this mainly because I had no blooming idea what I was doing:)
    I certainly appreciate your comments on my writing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Judy, thank you. I was so confused with this prompt. After my list of words, I just wrote three different poems and tried to tie them together.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pam, I do like the way you wrote in response to this prompt. Your idea of writing three separate poems was good one. I should have done that. I think that is what the challenge was about. I missed the proverbial boat. Of your three poems, I like the 'earth' poem the very best. Each of them, however, COULD stand alone. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you did fine, Pamela. It has rich imagery and I like your resolution of the problem.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really enjoyed how this poem flows, and I like the contrasts between the three sections of the poem, tied to together so well!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the thoughts, the flow...and the connectivity..


    ransom

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! You so well defined each concept, with a dizzying array of well-chosen modifiers! I'm not even sure which lines I like the best, because there are so many of them!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks RJ, this prompt was quite perplexing for me. Everyone wrote to it differently.

    ReplyDelete