"Life is the dancer and you are the dance."
Eckhart Tolle

Tuesday, April 26, 2011

"Hidden Meanings" NaPoWriMo #26

Beautiful nymphs on your shoulders,
quill with inkwell scribbling names:
one for honey, one for flowers and
angels that fly through the air … or
unexpected visitors who wait
for us in the extensions of “Arcadia”
You gave her a name that whispered
the Clutharachán meala or 
Sadhbh
Like roaming hillsides that puff up
in the sun to meet the sky,
as resilient as a road filled with high mallow
when spherical objects try to flatten it; 
it’s buoyant, rises back
A deep breath in the wind clears obstructed air,
we try to envisage why we’re given our names


* A prompt from "Poets & Writers"
Write a poem that explores how you were named and the meaning of your name, include at least one bold lie:
Pamela was a poetic invention from the 16th century.
The name was invented in the late 16th century by, the poet Sir Philip Sidney for use in his poem 'Arcadia’.
Clutharachán meala translates to "Honey Elf" in Gaelic.
Sadhbh translates to Pamela in Irish Gaelic (or so they say).

22 comments:

  1. Ooer, there's beautiful for you. (A Welsh kind of compliment)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Usually we're named after saints, celebs, or family members. Knowing origin and meaning of names is a process most ignore.
    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A truly poetic poem.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very clever poem about your name, Pamela, based on interesting research as well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a lovely tribute to your name, Pamela! Did you know all of this, or uncover new treasures? I love quill with inkwells scribbling names...
    ~Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is brilliant and beautiful, a lyrical tribute to a lovely name, Pamela!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stan, actually my father wanted to name me, Robin, but my mother won that argument:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Mary, I knew what Pamela meant in Gaelic, but I didn't know the other bits of information.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Some new found info for me, Brenda. I didn't know about Sir Philip Sidney or the translation in Irish Gaelic.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Marianne, but I feel like I am stretching myself at this point of napo:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Interesting research, my Mum was called Pamela too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I liked the opening, imagining him sitting there coming up with names, and how something made up for a poem would later be a name for real people.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Something made up for a poem, as you are made to make poetry. I know that sense of stretching and sympathize, but when reading your words I am grateful you continue. Beautiful Pamela,

    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  14. She must be a wonderful person, Andy;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. It is an interesting story, Mr. Walker.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks, Elizabeth, and I am having some problems pulling it together on these last few days.

    ReplyDelete
  17. it is a melodic name
    and a fitting poem =)

    ReplyDelete