"Life is the dancer and you are the dance."
Eckhart Tolle

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

"Empty" NaPoWriMo #12-a mirror poem

Your dubious optimism eased cynical crowds.
Enemies never scoffed at your selfless behavior.
Wholly compassionate, something on your mind required perfect words.
Talking incessantly while gripping everyone’s attention.
Your life was petaled, parted rosiness.
Always enough time because you understood every corner of a curve.
Freedom can be buried deep into wet terrain.
Nothing is undesired, it died in your death.
Disapproving hatred exists in silence
as grotesque puppets have left the realm
in painless, unravished emptiness.
Unimaginatively you’ve released me
with uncertain indifference outside a silent field
where souls touch interiors of another’s scorn
to smooth out their jagged edges.
Your loveless stereotypical course is inconsistent,
beneath everything which will never assure me of its resolve.




Process notes:
I chose Paul Eluard's "At The Window", which was a challenge to mirror.

http://allpoetry.com/opoem/8418-Paul-Eluard-At-The-Window

28 comments:

  1. Not a challenge I'd relish - you make it look easy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. An exceptional mirror-poem. I should like to have read them side-by-side. Bravo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was a hard one but you've done it well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The result is compelling. I'm very taken with it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great result from a difficult challenge! This reads so well!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pamela, You are braver than I, this challenge frightened me away. You however, rose to it gloriously! I especially like the lines... as grotesque puppets have left the realm in painless, unravished emptiness...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Superb job of tackling a difficult challenge, Pamela! I'm not sure I'm up to this prompt!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a beautiful poem! Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Viv, I wanted to post them side by side, but it was impossible. I would've had to reduce the type to an unreadable size. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is the second "Mirror" poem I have ever really connected to the first being Sylvia Plath's poem Mirror'
    This comes across as open honest expression and I really enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well, Tilly, next time I will use a simpler poem to mirror. This one was complex, but I do love that poem.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That bit of the poem was hard to mirror and all that came to mind were grotesque puppets, not certain why, Brenda.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Difficult it was, Andy, but I suppose I love a challenge:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I was intrigued by it from the beginning, Marianne.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Amanda, the exercise was to write a mirror to a poem we admired. I chose "At The Window" by Paul Eluard. This is the result.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, this was masterfully written, Pamela. So many wonderfully rich and thought-provoking lines:

    Disapproving hatred exists in silence

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am very glad that you liked it, Mary, like I wrote earlier to Tilly, I would do this exercise again, but with a simpler poem.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Pamela, although obviously difficult, the results show off your strengths well. The flow of language and images, the evocative nature captured with your word choices, and the smooth delivery of truths often unpalatable, all mark this "mirror" as your own. Wonderful write.

    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  19. Elizabeth, the difficultly was from the line lengths of his poem and trying to stay uniform, as I mirrored his words. I actually enjoyed this prompt and may do another sometime in the future. Thanks for such a wonderful comment:)

    ReplyDelete
  20. lovely flow of words
    i like it better than the other poem

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm new here, via Dave's blog. I must admit I was drawn by the blog title Flaubert, with the thought you might be interested in the great writer. No matter, I find you are a fine poet instead. I'm pleased to meet you all the way from Australia.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Well, Janet it is completely different.

    ReplyDelete
  23. A lovely compliment, Elisabeth and it is my pleasure.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Yes, Madeleine, a difficult exercise and I am fairly pleased with the results, thanks.

    ReplyDelete