"Life is the dancer and you are the dance."
Eckhart Tolle

Sunday, June 6, 2010

Swimming on linoleum POW prompt #6 a cento

We had goldfish and they circled around and around

and when my father got home he threw them to the cat

Whereon the thought might think sometime it saw

The carcase of a beauty spent and done

To give life you must take life,

and as our grief falls flat and hollow


Swifter than the moon's sphere;

And I serve the Fairy Queen

then somebody behind you laughs.

it's a cork laugh filled with sand and

broken glass.

Yet this abundant issue seem'd to me

But hope of orphans, and unfather'd fruit;


I sit in the room

with them

and they taunt me

with their agony;

TELL me where is Fancy bred,

Or in the heart or in the head?

How begot, how nourished?

reply, reply.

 
Process notes:
William Shakespeare

A lover's complaint
A fairy song
Love
How like a winter hath my absence been

Charles Bukowski

2 flies
Another day
A smile to remember
As the sparrow

14 comments:

  1. Forgot to mention, I love the title!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Um, 7 comments, all from me? Yikes, I am sorry. Blogger was down here (there too?) and nothing worked properly. I've had a wonderful time reading Bukowski. And I do like the way you have blended the lines from Shakespeare with Bukowski's work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Marianne and there does seem to be a problem with your blogger oops!
    Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shraddha
    This form is a cento and taken from lines of those poems
    Thanks!
    Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well done Pamela. I think poor Marianne is suffering from cento syndrome going round and round like the goldfish!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can just about make out the Shakespeare by the form, but you stitched it together with Bukowski quite subtly.
    I'll try to post this comment in one hit :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It ought to be difficult to blend Will and Buk but although some lines do shine out, you and others have made it look easy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Rall this was enjoyable!
    And when I tried to delete some of Marianne's comments it ended up deleting all of them!So I just left them be.
    Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  9. Stan thanks for stopping over!
    Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  10. Derrick
    Thanks for commenting! I enjoyed doing this prompt!
    Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOL - had to laugh at Marianne's comments and the 'round and 'round gaff...should leave that up, Pamela! Love this...you did a great job blending Bukowski with Shakespeare!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks Linda I enjoyed this and I cannot remove them without removing all comments for some reason :)
    Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  13. Another fabulous cento as I make my rounds. I particularly like the final stanza, but there are some great combinations throughout.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ahh francis you are too kind!
    I loved yours it made me laugh
    (about those flabby knees!)
    Pamela

    ReplyDelete