"Life is the dancer and you are the dance."
Eckhart Tolle

Friday, November 5, 2010

EST Day #5 November PAD chapbook challenge-metamorphosis

To shed the outer layer,
of devolving turbulence.
A mindful stance of the rotating
cogs in a filtered existence.
Wheels turn …
moving without lubrication
Being placed on a table.
Electrodes placed at tender temples,
sending fire throughout the body.
Altered for existence.

Process notes:
This prompt made think about ES therapy.
My mom worked as an RN supervisor.
In a psychiatric hospital for several years,
in a NY state institution. At that time
this form of therapy was legal. I am
quite mortified that it was ever legal.

12 comments:

  1. My ex's older brother underwent EST in the late 50's, poor soul, just because he was sexually non conforming. Yeah, that's one messed up family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pamela:
    Very profound contemplation of a sad fact of our history. It definitely makes me think...in fact, it makes me want to write.

    Thanks,
    Shari

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your well expressed poem certainly captures the horror of ES therapy. I too find it hard to imagine this was EVER allowed / thought beneficial.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A very inspirational poem in honor of your mother. I wonder how many nurses we were raised by. My mother was an ER nurse.

    ReplyDelete
  5. everyday goddess it is a horrid thing to have done to people. I think it is still legal in Florida.
    Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  6. Shari,
    It is indeed a horrible part of our history.
    I am glad that you are inspired to write.
    I look forward to reading your work.
    Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mary,
    Thanks and it is beyond me that it was ever thought to be therapeutic. When my mom told me the stories I just wanted to cry.
    Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  8. Diane,
    Was she really? My mom was an awesome, strong and talented lady. I miss her so much.
    Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  9. This could be termed a horror story: but you succeeded in turning it into very real poetry.

    ReplyDelete
  10. your poem is superb.
    love the phrases you applied here.
    lovely message.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Viv,
    Just imagine the horror for the person that goes through that. Thanks for the comment.
    Pamela

    ReplyDelete