"Life is the dancer and you are the dance."
Eckhart Tolle

Wednesday, December 15, 2010

"as in life" we write poems #32-pursuit of happiness

Pursuing anything could be fatal,
or a complete waste of time.
Chase it on the merry-go-round,
where the cars go bumping in unison.
Plates of glass cut to a specific angle,
can be fit in the frame, until they crack or shatter …
The broken pieces left to be picked up
by the innocent spectator.
On a sidewalk crumbling underfoot,
while sinking into the earth.
Brace yourself for disappointment
that wedges us between the real
and unimaginable facts.
Existing – in looking for true happiness.

10 comments:

  1. Bravo. You have said these truths so much better than I.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with your thoughts. I like the glass analogy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so right; if we have to pursue anything in life, it's often a waste of time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The pursuit may be interesting but so often futile or dangerous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. At my age and with my joints, just the word pursuit sounds exhausting, lol. I agree with every word you wrote.

    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is the expectation of happiness that leads to disappointment.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so relatable. I have fallen flat on my face so many times, pursuing it..

    places

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just woke up Pamela, and in my dream, the last thing I said was, "you are a series of disappointments." I was so glad it was just a bad dream.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The glass analogy struck me the most in this piece. I think we mistake what will distract our minds from sorrow and sadness with what will actually make us happy, hence perhaps the disappointment. Nicely done.

    -Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks to all for the nice comments.
    I have been busy.
    Pamela

    ReplyDelete