"Life is the dancer and you are the dance."
Eckhart Tolle

Saturday, August 28, 2010

photos writers island #18 if only

I retrieve you from the cardboard box stored away for many years.

On the oak surface, I spread out glossy prints.

I examine each smile, each hug, vibrant colour is a persistent ache.

My hands wander from one to the next, as I touch the smooth

surface of memories poised in my mind. I hear the sound of an

ambulance passing by and repeat to myself 'button, button who’s

got the button' a phrase from childhood. Things that are missed

and sometimes forgotten. Memories are all we have to hold on to.

I place you back in your paper tomb, until we can be together again.

On our oak surface. If only in my mind.

18 comments:

  1. Pamela, this is a very touching poem, and the sentiment resonates with me. I do this sometime with old photos too. Actually I have scanned some and have them available on my computer, so I don't have to go to the box.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Photos and memories!! Nice work, very evocative. You put great thought into this.
    SC

    ReplyDelete
  3. A deep thinking look back. Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Poignant and gentle. I love how you start with "I retrieve you from the cardboard box".

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellently written post! =)

    -Weasel

    ReplyDelete
  6. My favorite line... "memories are all we have to hold on to"... That is so true. A very heartrending poem, Pamela.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sad and endearing; I could feel the pain and beauty~

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautifully written, the sadness conceal within had been revealed, within sadness, there is happiness somewhere=D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Excellent writing, never over the top. The grief was palpable. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great and touching piece heartbreaking if there are only memories to hold on
    I love your blogheader as well b.t.w.

    ReplyDelete
  11. 'paper tomb' - delicious phrasing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks everyone for all the nice comments!
    Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  13. wel I do not like paper tombs...but i really like paper tombs in poems...and this is goooood Pam....as I go through boxes of old family pics for my daughters...with tears at times...happy trails

    ReplyDelete
  14. Better to have happy memories rather than regrets.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks Wayne and have a happy week!
    Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  16. very nicely written, the sadness and heartbreak are there, but as if mellowed by time - I really like how that comes through. Love this line:

    vibrant colour is a persistent ache

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks so much for the nice comment!
    Pamela

    ReplyDelete