"Life is the dancer and you are the dance."
Eckhart Tolle

Friday, April 9, 2010

A good cook napowrimo #9

Please pull a rug up

Join me ‘round the campfire on this lovely winter evening

To listen to the tale of Janey Alison White

A blind girl from the Appalachian Trail

Living in a house made of wattle and daub, a red chimney atop

Maestra of marionette kiddy shows for a pence

Cocinar extraordinaire “consume de pansa” her speciality

Massages given for free (well if she liked you that is)

She collected pumice stones

which were stowed away in a pail out in the garage

She loved strumming her guitar under the stars by a torch

Wearing only a fringe leather jacket and a silly yellow hat with flaps

Laughter came from someone in the group

“Don’t laugh. She was a great talent in her time”

She made the finest pickle jam anyone in these parts had ever tasted

Someone in the group startled me and asked

“How did she come to be blind?”

Sad story really: the husband tore out her eyes with his long talons

He was jealous

She was a much better poet than him

Listen everybody I am getting tired I need to head back home

I think my behind is bruised from sitting too long

“Could someone pass me my jug of octopus wine?”

Oh I have forgotten my walker this evening

This limp is bad tonight good thing I always have my cane with me

It is hell trying to get around when you can’t see


*Process notes: I used all of the words except "lever and tome". My favourite sound is laughter and consume de pansa tastes horrible to me. It is a soup made from the stomach of either cow or pig. And it is very popular in Mexico.

20 comments:

  1. Nice character. I would have liked to have met her. And good use of so many of the words! I enjoy coming here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Only Footprints,
    Thanks so much and I enjoy you visiting.
    Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pamela - this is one of my favorite kind of characters, someone who's experienced dreadful things yet exudes joy. I'm assuming that playing guitar wearing only a leather jacket symbolizes joy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice! I really enjoyed this piece!

    ReplyDelete
  5. JDM,
    She is joyful indeed! Thanks!
    Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  6. Weasel,
    Thanks so much! I am so glad you did!
    Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an imagination to create this character.
    Enjoyed this Pam.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rall,
    Thanks! I also enjoyed yours it made me chuckle this morning.
    Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm a little embarassed I had to look up daub. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Pamela, like a campfire story - there you have another prompt. Loved this story...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really like the phrase "a house made of wattle and daub", and the story as a whole. I don't think I could stomach "consume de panza" either :P.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Evelyn,
    Don't be daub was sometimes made out of animal dung. Yucky, huh? Thanks for stopping by.
    Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  13. Uma,
    Thank you. You are so sweet! This was not that easy. But i love wordles!
    Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  14. Francis,
    Thanks for you comment. And yes consume de panza is just gross!
    Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  15. nice one Pam....i posted real late.....busy day in the mountains...i really liked doing this poem...fun....and thanks for hanging around to read..

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wayne my friend I am always so happy to read your poetry. Thanks!
    Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wonderful story. I was totally drawn in. Well done, Pamela!

    ~Mark

    ReplyDelete
  18. Mark,
    Thanks so much and I am glad you stopped by.
    Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  19. Fun and totally summed the prompt. I liked the narrative.

    Regards,

    Doug

    ReplyDelete
  20. Doug,
    Thanks for the nice comment!
    Pamela

    ReplyDelete