"Life is the dancer and you are the dance."
Eckhart Tolle

Saturday, December 4, 2010

excavating the old weed writer's island #32-Quest

I’m on a quest to rid myself …
of a man-eating plant that has
big decaying leaves and a gnarly mouth,
that tries to consume and poison
all those that come near.
Just when I least expect it,
this old flower strikes me from behind
trying to knock me down.
But I’m resilient,
I’ve dealt with far worse than she.
I’m sure there was a time when in her prime,
she flourished and bloomed,
now as she grows old
all beauty is left unrecognized.
Replaced by cynicism and bitter thoughts.
This wilting blossom is losing momentum
with each passing day.
Soon she’ll come uprooted,
we can finally put her to rest in the bay …
If not I’ll hire Chance the gardener
old weeds must go …


"Be alert and of sober mind.
Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion,
looking for someone to devour."
Peter 5:8



Process notes:
Chance Gardener fictional character from
the movie “Being There”. As for the quote
I figured it was quite suitable.

16 comments:

  1. Wonderful metaphor and poem. In real life, my garden is full of those triffid things that threaten to engulf me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Viv, Thanks. They certainly do turn up when least expected. Pesky weeds :)
    Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  3. Intriguing take on this week's prompt. Great imagery.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I cannot imagine you getting rid of yourself... But I can certainly picture that roaring lion. You are a brave woman, Pamela!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Elizabeth thanks and thanks for the visit.
    Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  6. Diane,
    I am hardly talking about myself, I assure you of that. Brave I am not so sure, but just as clever as any adversary.
    Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pamela, indeed I picture you as being clever. You will find a way to get rid of any pesky weeds that find their way into your life!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Already done Mary, my garden is quite clean now:)
    Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your poem reminds me of something that I wrote not too long ago, about myself as a weed in my Mother's small garden. I had forgotten about that. Thanks for reminding me. I like the poem, especially the image in those opening lines.

    Thank you Pamela,

    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  10. Elizabeth I suppose we could all relate to that in one way or another. I looked up to mom, she was a beautiful and very strong woman. I can only
    hope to be as good as she was.
    Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  11. I found it interesting that your pesky plant was female; was that a deliberate choice?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Tilly,
    Yes, flowers are feminine in gender in the Spanish language, e.g. rosa, jacinta, poinsettia etc ... i.e. latin. In life I have found that some women can be the most vicious and vindictive.
    Men will never do or say the things a wicked woman will. Then when you meet a woman who is paranoid and delusional on top of all that ... well watch out.
    Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  13. Interesting on two counts.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yup, Tilly, I am just saying. If ya know what I mean ;) I get along well with most people, but seems when I have a problem, it is inevitably a woman. Quien sabe por que? (I don't know why)
    Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ah weeds... their names speaks for themselves every life had need of ridding of them! Very creative I have to say!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yes, Amanda weeds must go, I am trying rid myself of them.
    Pamela

    ReplyDelete