"Life is the dancer and you are the dance."
Eckhart Tolle

Sunday, January 30, 2011

Upstate New York poets united poetry pantry #27

I fell off my bicycle when I was six,
landing in a pile of abbreviated wireworms
that started crawling up my leg.
Sardonic banana skippers held hands
with black cherry fruit flies, laughing and sharing a joke.
In front of me was the mighty alfalfa blotch leafminer,
a strange neighbor who loves to talk nonsense
while extending all authority in its path.
Apple orchards aren’t places fit for pulling wheelies,
hoping aerial yellowjackets will hold you up
with their broken wings … they try to do their best.
An apple leafhopper wanted to come to my rescue …
he was busy eating peaches, a different diet than usual …
Someday I will go back there, I am just not ready yet.


process notes:
This writing exercise came from
http://www.facebook.com/murphywriting
http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=164598330232746&topic=305
Check it out!

17 comments:

  1. All the little creatures you know? Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an insightful way of describing that one simple (and accidental) act. I have to think more on the usefulness of apple orchards, now,

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was an avid (obsessed) gardener once. I really enjoyed reading this, Pamela. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. RJ, this was a writing exercise provided by a
    gentleman named Peter Murphy. He has writing retreats. You should check out his site on FB.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Paul, I am glad you did:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. very vivid imagery,
    you make me feel the emotions...
    I grew up in countryside and used to ride bikes and fell as a kid..

    this piece hit home, outstanding job.

    ReplyDelete
  7. welcome join us tonight within an hour, have fun!
    Thanks for the inspirations and dedications..

    Happy Writing!

    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pam, I love the imaginative nature of this poem. I'm picturing the leaf hopper eating peaches!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mary, I enjoyed this exercise in writing. You should give it a try. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jingle, I am working on a poem right now for potluck. I will submit tomorrow. Thank you:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi from a deserter from Syracuse! Buggy there but good fishing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This poem reminded me of falling in a red anthill when I was little......thanks for the trip back:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. booguloo I from the NYC and I lived for awhile on
    Long Island. I did visit upstate a lot. My brother has a summer house on Lake George.
    I loved going there during vacation.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sherry, well sounds like a bad experience. ouch!

    ReplyDelete
  15. There is a real magical feel to this Pamela. Seems to be made of rainbow colors even though there is no real mention of color. I like this.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks Peggy it is an exercise from a writing coach Peter Murphy. The link is at the end of the poem.

    ReplyDelete