"Life is the dancer and you are the dance."
Eckhart Tolle

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

A letter from me we write poems #35-(not) poetry

I got your letter this afternoon.
I’m calling it The Unrecorded Symphony.
Today the most beautiful wish of my life has been granted.
Now I’m in Leipzig, but it’s not too bad,
nothing here’s as nice as the weather.
My Dideldum – may all the angels be with you!
One of these mornings, you’re gonna rise up singin’
It’s very beautiful here. It’s good enough for now.
The trees are not as far along as in Vienna;
Thank God your by the sea.
The lilacs already have tiny buds.
The little flower is from my garden.
I hope that tomorrow I’ll be gone.
For this equation: white is your soul, white is your body.
One of these mornings, you’re gonna rise up singin’
I’m shoving off! I’ll take my time driving.
But “just don’t get soft baby.”
Write me at Verona, poste restante.
You’ll spread your wings and you’ll take to the sky
That’s all my darling.


Process notes:
Speak Low – The letters of Kurt Weill and Lotte Lenya.
The first two lines of “Summertime” by George Gershwin.

10 comments:

  1. You chose some interesting lines, Pamela, and wove them into poetry. I love "You'll spread your wings and you'll take to the sky."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I recognized the lyrics to "Summertime", an old favorite of mine. Isn't it strange how we can take someone else's words and make something new and diffeent from them. I love the way your poem bounces from one location to another, like a butterfly flitting, but never staying too long.

    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very neat poem Pamela. You gave this just the right feel of a note dashed off or of thoughts flowing as you take off. This was an interesting prompt --taking sentences from non-poetic works. And you did make this your own.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I admire the sense you have made of all these disconnected lines.

    'One of these mornings, you’re gonna rise up singin’
    shall be your reward.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mary,
    I think using this particular book made this quite the challenge for me. I love the book and find Kurt and Lotte fascinating. But trying to make a cohesive poem was another matter.
    Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, Elizabeth Kurt was all over the world from Europe to the USA in these letters. He knew Gershwin and though I am not sure if they were friends, I love the song "summertime" and just seemed to fit.
    Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Viv. Do you really think so? :)
    Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very whimsical feeling. I like how you end it with "that's all my darling."

    ReplyDelete
  9. Irene, this was a challenge but most enjoyable.
    Pamela

    ReplyDelete